In the spirit of Anzac day tomorrow, I spent the day baking with my mum making healthy Anzac cookies. I’m not going to lie the first few batches were pretty mediocre; however, this last batch I think I’ve got just right! A healthy alternative that is sugar free and gluten free and tastes delicious. Can you guess the secret ingredient that sweetens up these cookies??
Softened dates and mashed banana! 🙂
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 10 dates, soaked
- 30g butter
- 1 Tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp warm water (or save a little bit of liquid from the dates)
- 1 small banana, mashed
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a tray with baking paper.
- Put dates into a pot with a little water on the stove and leave until soft (maybe 5 minutes).
- Mix rolled oats, coconut, almond meal and baking powder into a bowl.
- Soften the butter and mix together golden syrup, vanilla, dates and a little warm water or left over date juice.
- Add wet ingredients and mashed banana to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Roll into balls with your hands and flatten on the tray.
- Put in the oven for 12 minutes until golden but still soft to touch.
- Leave to cool before you move or eat them.
Thanks for reading 🙂